For the second straight time out of an international break to start the 2023-24 season, Juventus had a very big game with a very competitive team lining up against them.
For the second straight time, Juventus got the win.
The margin of victory in those two games, however, was very different. As was the team’s overall performance and the circumstances in which that victory was achieved.
Juventus’ win over AC Milan on Sunday night was decided by Manuel Locatelli, who scored a long-range effort much like he did against Juventus when he played for Milan as a teenager. It was exactly seven years to the day, which added yet another wrinkle into a game that saw Milan go down to 10 men late in the first half but Juventus not totally take advantage of it.
It was curto muso at curto muso’s finest. Or, it was just Juventus struggling to put something together that resembled that win over Lazio from last month — both in how the team played and how Max Allegri had them playing from a tactical setup.
On Episode 179 of The Old Lady Speaks Podcast, we discuss:
- Takeaways from Juventus’ win over AC Milan — including how this was one of the most Moise Kean games that ever Moise Kean’d over the last few years, how it’s now pretty official that Juventus and Max Allegri have gone back to their old ways of playing with a low block and being less proactive than they were to begin the 2023-24, and how we need to slow our collective role about Juve being Scudetto contenders.
- So, how about that win over Milan at San Siro?
- Max Allegri is still doing Max Allegri things — which means the more progressive and “modern” tactics that Juve used the first few games of the 2023-24 season are gone.
- A closing question: How about Dean Huijsen?!
- Twitter questions — including how much of Juventus’ win over Milan had to do with luck and how much did it have to do with them being a half-decent team, why the heck was Moise Kean subbed out when he was, and is January a good time to go back in for Domenico Berardi knowing Juve’s continued lack of creativity.
You can listen to Episode 179 of the Old Lady Speaks Podcast on your preferred podcasting platform or through the media player below:
To our dear listeners: Please look for the latest episode of The Old Lady Speaks Podcast to drop every Monday and Thursday mornings/afternoons for those of you who live in the United States. (Please adjust your time zone according if you live outside of the U.S.)
If you happen to listen to the Old Lady Speaks on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, please subscribe to the show and give us a nice five-star rating and review because it is very nice to see that our podcast is being enjoyed by you all. The more you say nice things about us, the more we will continue to love you forever and ever and ever. We promise.