This weekend saw Juventus lock up a spot in the top four of the Serie A standings.
It also saw one of the club’s most promising youngsters in years fulfill a boyhood dream and make his first-ever start at the senior level for Juventus.
As you might expect, the conversation was centered around Fabio Miretti. No offense to Juventus making the Champions League with room to spare (unlike last season), but when you’ve got an 18-year-old kid playing that well and looking like he belongs right away, then it’s only natural that we are going to talk a lot about him.
Juve’s 2-1 win during Serie A’s Sunday lunchtime kickoff was certainly memorable for two things — Leonardo Bonucci’s birthday brace and Miretti’s debut in the starting lineup. It was the old guy and the new kid being two of the best players on the field. And with how Miretti played, he was the center of our attention.
But this was the day in which Fabio Miretti was the one to focus on.
On this week’s episode of The Old Lady Speaks, we discuss:
- Takeaways from the week that was — including what Juventus might be interested in accomplishing over the next couple of weeks of the season now that the Champions League spot is secured, and our resident Agent of Chaos being disappointed in a way that Juve won’t be in a lower level European competition next season.
- Thoughts on Fabio Miretti’s debut in the starting lineup and how impressed we were by the Juve youth product.
- Seriously, we talked a lot about Fabio Miretti because he deserves it.
- The importance of Miretti’s development and the Under-23 project as a whole.
- Juventus has qualified for next season’s Champions League — now what?
- Twitter questions — including what we would like to see from Juventus the rest of the season, if Juve potentially finishing in third place something to be happy about knowing how this season has gone, and if Max Allegri could play Miretti, Matias Soulé and Marley Aké all at once before the season is over. (We just answer the questions, folks.)
You can listen to Episode 97 of The Old Lady Speaks here:
Dear listeners, please look for the latest episode of The Old Lady Speaks to drop every Monday afternoon for those of you who live in the United States. (Please adjust your time zone according if you don’t live in the U.S.)
If you happen to listen to the Old Lady Speaks on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, please feel free to give us a nice rating because it is very nice to see that our podcast is being enjoyed by you all. The more you say nice things about us, the more we will continue to love you forever and ever and ever. We promise.
Also, if you haven’t already, please take part in recent our listener survey and let us know what you think of the podcast as a whole. We greatly appreciate the feedback and thank you all for taking part in it.