Juventus had one last chance to win a trophy this season on Wednesday night in Rome.
It went ... not great.
There were bad refereeing decisions. There were bad managerial decisions. There was bad Juventus defensive moments. There was just a whole host of things that went into Juve losing to Inter Milan 4-2 in extra time at the Stadio Olimpico. And because of it, Juventus is now officially a team that won’t have any extra badges on their jersey, as the first trophy-less season in a decade is officially upon us all.
As you might expect, that is where the discussion both started and ended this week.
On this week’s episode of The Old Lady Speaks, we discuss:
- Takeaways from the week that was — including just how Juventus is not a very good team right now (or for pretty much all of this season), the concern about how many penalties Matthijs de Ligt has given away during his Juventus tenure, and Max Allegri continues to play not to lose rather than playing to win (especially when the opponent is there for the taking).
- Thoughts on the Coppa Italia final and just how wrong Allegri got things when Juventus took the lead within a two-minute span in the second half against Inter.
- But seriously, what the heck was that penalty call against Juventus that led to Inter tying the game?
- VAR in Italy — and pretty much at large — is bad and who knows if it’s getting any better.
- So, how about those new Juventus home kits, everybody?
- Twitter questions — including recalling some of our most favorite Paulo Dybala memories and what we think about a potential Juventus and Paul Pogba reunion taking place this summer as the rumor mill continues to churn out talk of things happening.
You can listen to Episode 99 of The Old Lady Speaks Podcast here:
To our dear listeners: Please look for the latest episode of The Old Lady Speaks to drop every Monday (when we’re back on a regular publishing schedule) for those of you who live in the United States. (Please adjust your time zone according if you don’t live in the U.S.)
If you happen to listen to the Old Lady Speaks on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, please feel free to give us a nice rating because it is very nice to see that our podcast is being enjoyed by you all. The more you say nice things about us, the more we will continue to love you forever and ever and ever. We promise.
Also, if you haven’t already, please take part in recent our listener survey and let us know what you think of the podcast as a whole. We greatly appreciate the feedback and thank you all for taking part in it.