As much as the fourth episode of The Old Lady Speaks was built around transfer rumors because there wasn’t really much news out there, a week later it is a very, very different story. Some of it was good news if you’re craving Juventus football again, other parts of it was truly awful if you consider yourself to be a compassionate human being.
It’s hard to look anywhere in the news cycle these days and not see something related to the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the protests that are going on across the world over the previous five days. Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini made about as public of a statement about the ongoing racial injustice happening with a heartfelt post on his social media accounts on Monday just before we hit record, so we felt it was only necessary to lead things off with this.
In this episode, we discussed the following topics:
- How we hope that athletes like Chiellini who have such a big platform can help try to become voices of change during such high-powered times. If you want to read the article by Chuks that we referenced early in the episode, you can find it here. (This first segment last the opening 18 minutes and change, for what it’s worth.)
- The return of Serie A is getting closer and closer to actually happening. Monday brought the news that the adjusted Serie A schedule has been set (outside of the final three rounds of play). We look at the way things will shake out during this incredibly busy time that will be coming up soon, starting with Juve’s Coppa Italia semifinal return leg against Milan.
- How old is Daniele Rugani actually?
- We take more Twitter questions! (They’ve been really, really good and we definitely are enjoying them and what they bring to each episode.)
- We talk a little Sandro Tonali.
- We talk a little Italian national team midfield.1
- And, to wrap it up, we talk a little bit about Juventus being the bridesmaid and not the bride in the last 25 years when it comes to dominating domestically yet struggling to win the big trophy in Europe.
You can listen to Episode 5 of The Old Lady Speaks here:
You can also subscribe to The Old Lady Speaks on ...
Please feel free to give us a nice rating because we enjoy doing this podcast very much and are glad that you have enjoyed the first batch of episodes. The more you say nice things about us, the more we will continue to love you forever and ever and ever. We promise.
(PLEASE NOTE: If you aren’t seeing the podcast player embedded into the post, don’t you worry because sometimes search engine paths tend to bounce some features from the page.)