So, when you saw Giorgio Chiellini have to be subbed off due to injury in the 27th minute, what was going through your head? Don’t worry, you can be honest, folks. We’re not going to judge you.
If it involved multiple profanities, you aren’t alone.
And what did the highest-scoring team in Serie A with arguably the most in-form striker in all of Europe do? Well, they did what you’d expect them to do when Juventus had to slide over their starting right back into the center of defense because they’re so short on central defenders right now.
Atalanta didn’t just beat Juventus on Wednesday night. Gian Piero Gasperini’s high-flying side absolutely smacked the seven-time defending Italian champions and winners of the last four Coppa Italia trophies right across the mouth. Atalanta’s 3-0 win over Juventus at the Stadio Atleti Azzurri D’Italia saw Juventus’ Coppa Italia dominance come to a crashing end, with Duvan Zapata continuing his insane goal scoring form against a completely makeshift kind of Juve backline.
Oh, and on top of the defensive blunders in the first half, there was also this:
For the second straight game, Juventus were absolute run over in the first half. And unlike Juve’s visit to the Stadio Olimpico in Rome over the weekend, Atalanta were actually able to do something about it and put the ball in the back of the net. If Lazio were up 2-0 after 45 minutes on Sunday, it would have been completely deserved just as was Atalanta taking a two-goal lead three days later.
It was a complete crapfest for Juventus.
There’s not really any other way to say it.
Not just because Chiellini got injured, either. The whole thing — the overall team performance, the incredibly bad turnovers at the back, the inability to create much of anything up front — was just about as bad as we’ve seen from Juventus this season.
Yes, Sunday was the worst we’ve seen Juventus this season. And this can be put right alongside it.
As much as we can delve into things that went wrong for Juventus against Atalanta, pretty much all you need to know is that they lost 3-0. That’s it. That’s the list.
In conclusion, everybody: Forget all of this talk about losing out on the chance to win a treble, I just want Juventus to stop playing like complete idiots.
RANDOM THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS
- Juventus’ first corner kick of the game didn’t come until the 50th minute.
- Juventus’ first shot on goal in the game didn’t come until the 68th minute.
- Those first two bullet points aren’t exactly what you would call a recipe for success.
- Duvan Zapata had more goals (2) than Juventus had shots on goal (1). Not great!
- If I told you that the first free kick Cristiano Ronaldo attempted on Wednesday night went right into the wall, would you be even the slightest bit surprised? Because I wouldn’t be.
- Good to see Sami Khedira got a full 70 minutes. He really made the difference out there.
- Don’t think the Khedira-Bentancur-Matuidi midfield is something that will take Juventus to that next level we want them to reach, you guys.
- Atalanta have 10 goals in their last three home matches in all competitions. Woof.
- Juventus currently has one healthy natural center back. Good times.
- For as good as Joao Cancelo was coming off the bench against Lazio over the weekend, it was basically the complete opposite against Atalanta three days later. His turnover directly led to Atalanta’s first goal, and another terribly misplaced pass almost led to another Atalanta goal early in the second half. If anything, Atalanta showed that if you press the absolute crap out of Cancelo you’re going to limit his best asset — the ability to get forward and terrorize the opposing defense as he bombs up and down the right wing.
- Please come back soon, Mario Mandzukic. I miss you. Juventus misses you.
- Juventus out of the Coppa Italia. Napoli out of the Coppa Italia. Roma out of the Coppa Italia. All three of Serie A’s top 3 teams are out of the Coppa Italia. I’m sure that’s what the television networks wanted to see happen.
- Good for Atalanta. They’re the kind of club that deserves good things to happen to them.
- THE COPPA ITALIA IS STUPID ANYWAY I NEVER LIKED IT.
- Hey, if you’re looking for something good to have happened today, at least Juventus Women are still in the Coppa Italia...