If Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is truly on the transfer market, there are already only a certain few number of clubs that can even come close to offering the kind of money that Claudio Lotito wants for him. If your club is thinking of offering something in the eight-figure range that starts with a 7 or an 8, it’s probably getting rejected and that will be that.
According to La Gazzetta dello Sport on Friday morning, that’s exactly what has happened to Juventus.
The much-rumored pursuit of Milinkovic-Savic and all the wonderfulness he brings to the table has reportedly resulted in Juventus tabling a bid for the 23-year-old Serbian. The exact figure of said bid is €80 million, according to the the Gazzetta. And, based on what Lotito has been saying regarding how much money may persuade him to even consider selling his most prized asset, it’s no surprise that Juventus got a two-word answer.
You know Lotito is going to hold out and play hardball no matter who comes calling for Milinkovic-Savic, who seems like he’s on the brink of stardom with how he’s played the last year or two.
And, based on what Lotito said just a few days ago, it’s no surprise that he would reportedly turn down Juventus’ first bid that is close to nine figures, but still nowhere near the rumored €130 million valuation Lazio have on Milinkovic-Savic these days.
“I turned down €110 million for Milinkovic-Savic on August 29, so I don’t know how much he is worth now, but I can tell you €100m isn’t enough. I get angry when I read people call Lazio a supermarket. I’ve never put anyone up for sale. In the past they wouldn’t even knock on the door, clubs would just come and take, but now they have to ask for permission.”
(Source: Football Italia)
Wouldn’t you like to be living in a world where you were the man in charge, somebody offered you €110 million for something that is in demand by the biggest wallets in the game today and you had a chance to just go “Nah...”
That seems to be exactly what Lotito is doing to whatever bid comes his way — no matter if it’s €80 million from Juventus, €90 million from somebody else or even over €100 million like he said he rejected back in August.
There’s certainly going to be more talk of Milinkovic-Savic and Juventus’ reported interest in signing him this summer no matter what the actual price tag may be. Even though the odds are most definitely not favorable, this is the kind of thing that the Italian press just doesn’t suddenly shut up about by the end of the week.